Monday, February 6, 2023

The people’s man by Alok Dhanwa

From ice-breaking machines to man-cutting machines
Against this quivering inhuman glitter
From the middle of burning villages,
Passes my poetry.
Along with rapid fires and pointed screams
My poetry is the first to reach the burnt woman.
And in the process, my poetry gets charred at so many places.
And even today they use poetry as a morgue van,
Filling the oxygen of new idioms into the lungs of words,
But the one who is born under a curfew,
Whose breath is hot like ‘loo’,
That young miner remembers my poetry
Like a completely new rifle.
 
Into the prohibited realms of poetry
I suddenly entered with crores of men,
To all those poets
My entry was like a vulgar ruckus,
Who for their own convenience
Want to steal the coming Sunday, in the waters of opium.
Now my poetry calls, like a life being taken away,
Without language and rhythm, only in meaning –
With that pregnant woman
Who was shot in the abdomen, lest
One more honest man was born.
 
Swallowing rotten rats,
In whose gullets, time has stuck,
In whose eyes the stains of dead remembrance have dried and stiffened,
They have gone to the jungle for good –
Away from people
Because words, originating
From the thinnest vein of their thighs
Terminate in the fattest vein of their thighs.
They are hiding their intentions, by the freshness of language,
Just for the sake of a discussion,
They also mention the names of places like Srikakulam,
In a strange way they have been successful in this country.
By the names of dead persons,
They are calling the living,
They are professional killers
Who throttle the neck of naked news
Behind the scandalous headlines of the newspapers,
They are, always, pets,
Of that one face
The map of his urinal
Is bigger than the map of my village.
 
The publishing institutions of this country
Are like the white worms found in snowy creeks:
On the shores of Hooghly, before committing suicide,
Why had that young poet screamed – ‘Times of India’.
--- it was not possible for us to go near his corpse,
Even the rented man also could not weep for him,
Because, before everything else
Today, with his real strength, he should be an attacker.
 
Every time, while writing poetry
I come to stand before an explosive grief
That for how long I should carry
This indecent map of the world,
That for how long, a wholesome man should sleep
Within the lakhs of villages caught in the chains of tanks?
 
In the Calcutta Zoo, a rhinoceros told me
That right now, there is no freedom anywhere,
Everywhere there is security.
In the most protected region of the capital,
Is nourished a primitive wound
Which produces, with the help of wild cats, a bestial alienation,
From then on I have decided
That the difficult hide of a rhinoceros, should be used,
Not for war, but for an immense pity.
 
I am reading letters inscribed in flesh –
Equipped with poisonous gases and menacing detectives,
A small fry of this system
Forcibly enters my house anytime
And with electric whips
Uncovers
My mother’s thighs
My sister’s back
And my daughter’s breasts.
In front of my gaping eyes, he destroys
My vote and even my power of procreation.
Tying a rope round my waste,
He starts dragging me,
And the whole village stands,
Witnessing this cruel scene
Because, up till now poems have been written
Only about going to jail,
Poems, which can blast the jail
Are not yet born.
 
One night
When I was in search of fresh and warm words –
Children born last Sunday were sleeping peacefully in thousand beds,
Children who were just a little bigger
Than the length of the pen with which I write poetry.
I suddenly saw them standing in the corner,
They were standing in the corner
Like loaded guns, like sirens, like a white leopard
Like a syllabus, like stench and the constitution.
 
They were guardians,
Beyond my reach – cruel parasites.
For them I was totally defenceless,
Because words do not harm them
As long as they have the 7 cm bullets
Ready in the rifles.
They will pick these children from the beds
And take them straight to the dynamite house
They will spare no effort
To prevent me from getting acquainted with these children,
Because my acquaintance will enter their dynamite house like fire,
Like the sound of deep waters.
I descended outside
In the breeze, on the road
Where suddenly, a fire engine driver confronted me,
“After all, what will be the future of letters like this?
After all, for how long will we be remembered,
Through racing fire engines?”
 
Over there, young grave-diggers struck work, pledging,
That from now on, we will not just burn the corpses
Of the people who died an untimely death,
We will go to their homes too.
 
Often, while writing poetry, my knees
Are struck by the boat of an unknown sailor
And once again the search for a new country begins –
It’s not at all important, that the name of that country be Vietnam
The name of that country can be the name of my father
Who was swept away in the floods,
It can be the name of my village,
It can also take the name of those godowns,
Where, up till now,
I have been auctioning my crops and my lines.
Why had my old neighbour asked one question –
“I am a landless peasant,
Can I touch poetry?”
Where the blood of young breasts and mighty shoulders burns,
In the mines of mica,
Not even once in their lifetime,
They remember mica as ‘mica’.
Because every time, the question of poetry
Lags behind the question of common life.
 
In history, even from primitive ages,
The places which are kept vacant in the name of poetry,
Only tins of fat have been accumulating there today.
Inside deep blue glass
Sukant’s 21 feet long suffering intestine
Has been kept
Not to bring forth a backbone of eternal rebellion
But to make stranger still
The strange museum of poetry.
In the midst of fine cut tobacco-like poems
Which gather crowds of old unsuccessful lady loves,
My shepherd face, full of the odour of sheep,
Must have struck you all as entirely unexpected,
Just like the floating corpse of Gajanan Madhav Muktibodh
In place of fishes, in the aquarium of Sahu Jain.
Why is that face, of being surrounded in a bomb-explosion,
Only in my poems?
Why can’t I write that poetry
Which is like the sleep of children,
Like a mine,
Like the colour of ripe blackberries.
Why can’t I write that poetry
Which is like the scent of dry grass in my mother’s naked body
Like the odour of deer’s sweat in the forest of bamboos,
Like the ears of rabbit,
Like the mating of blue seagulls
In the wild solitude of summers
Like the resting salty brown in the caves of the ocean.
Why can’t I write that poetry which is
Like the back of a thousand feet waterfall,
The poetry, which is written on the walls
In heavy letters, like the footprints of an elephant,
Which is inscribed on so many lakhs of ploughs,
The poetry, which lies like stale weak bread
In the tiffin of so many lakhs of workers.
 
Their poetry has been fighting dead bears.
It’s only he, who can break the skull of those gamblers
Who have turned poetry into a horse-race,
He, whom you call common man,
Because he is bigger than any country’s flag
And he has started realising this.
He has started understanding
The novels written on him,
The highways and canals dug by his own hands.
This is the great possibility of poetry
That the common man has started seeing his own creations …
The metropolis supported by his legs,
The capitals resting on his back,
He has started knowing them;
Gradually his face is turning into a new axe,
He has started realising
The real relations of seed, soil and water
And claws like the shining steel of the plough.
 
While expanding the meaning of poetry
He unchains the words like detective dogs,
In a splitting moment he sees
The loneliness of the chains,
He knows already –
Why the Adivasi child stares at the alphabets
Even while he is afraid of the writing,
He is exposing the secrets
Of the most abominable book of history.

____________________________________
Translated by : Roma Prakash
(in the 1990s)




No comments:

Post a Comment