Sunday, February 5, 2023

Shoot, poster! – By Alok Dhanwa

Is today 20th April 1972

Or the right hand of a professional murderer

Or the leather gloves of a detective

Or a fixed spot on the enemy’s binoculars?

Whatever it be – I cannot call it just a day.


It’s a very old place

Where I am writing

Here, even today, more of tobacco is used in place of words.

The sky here is just pig-high,

The tongue is the least in use

The eyes are the least in use

The ears are the least in use

Only teeth and stomach is here

And hands buried in soil

Man is nowhere

There is just a blue hollow

Which asks for food inly

From one heavy rain to the other.


Is this woman my mother, or a five feet iron rod

On which hang two dry breads

Like dead birds

There is not even a hair’s difference now

Between my daughter and my strike

Whereas the constitution, on its conditions,

Keeps breaking my strike and my daughter.

After this sudden election

Do I have to stop thinking about dynamite?


Can I, on this 20th April of 1972

Live with my children like a father,

Like an inkpot, like a ball,

Can I live with my children

Like a field full of grass?


Even if they give me entry into their poems,

They blindfold me, use me and then

Leave me beyond the border.

They never let me reach the capital

I am confined before I can reach the district town.


It wasn’t the government

But the cheapest cigarette of this country

Which stood by me.


Near my sister’s feet, like blue hedges

My childhood had flowered’

The Daroga’s buffalo grazed it.

If a Daroga has the right to shoot, to save humanity

Why not I?


The land on which I am writing,

The land on which I walk,

The land on which I plough,

The land in which I sow seeds,

The land from where I extract grains

And carry till the godowns –

Do I have the right to shoot for this land,

Or those bastard landlords, who have turned this whole country into a 

Creditor’s dog?


This isn’t poetry

This is the realisation to shoot

Which all the pen-workers are getting

From all the plough workers. 


___________________________________________

Translated by Roma Prakash

(In 1990s)




No comments:

Post a Comment